Virtual Red Folder
April 22, 2022
Everyday Artifacts at the Mercer Museum
Pod 3/4 recently enjoyed a trip to the Henry Mercer Museum in Doylestown. Henry Mercer was a 19th century archeologist who spent his life curating a collection of local everyday artifacts. Students enjoyed jumping back into this time in US history, comparing and contrasting these objects with the ones that define their lives today. They were equally excited to get back on the road for their learning, another step in preparing for their overnight trip to Washington DC next week.
Fifth graders continue their study of our environment and factors that impact it. They recently explored erosion and experimented with what materials can slow the movement of soil by creating “land” in a container and adding different elements like rocks, sticks and vegetation to see how much they could slow land loss when water was poured through their simulated hill. This tactile experience allowed students to discover on their own what erosion is and the importance of trees and vegetation on land around the world.
Chicken Dance Tag
After ending their dance unit, the Kindergarten students mashed together Tag and the Chicken Dance for a fun filled game! During Kindergarten’s dance unit they learned the Hokey Pokey, Chicken Dance, Mexican Hat Dance … and even created their own dance moves. Incorporating dance into the curriculum gives the students another way to stay active!
We are delighted to share that Erica Shippen will join the Plymouth Meeting Friends School community as Associate Head of School beginning July 1, 2022. Erica comes to us from The Agnes Irwin School, where she currently holds the role of Literacy Specialist and Coordinator of Lower School Student Support Services. Prior to that she taught First Grade at AIS, served as a Lower School Reading Specialist at The Haverford School and Tower Hill School, and was an adjunct faculty member at Delaware County Community College. As PMFS’ first Associate Head, Erica will serve as our primary academic administrator, collaborating with faculty on curriculum development as we approach our 10 year accreditation with the Pennsylvania Association of Independent Schools (PAIS). Erica will partner with the Head of School to supervise and evaluate teaching faculty and support their continued professional growth and development.
Erica started her learning journey as a Media Providence Friends School student from Pre-K through 8th Grade. We are honored to welcome her back into the Friends school community as a member of our Plymouth Meeting Friends School family!
Upcoming JADE Meetings
- On May 4, we will have a discussion with some of our 5th and 6th graders as they reflect on race, identity and their experiences on their trip to DC and the Harriet Tubman museum in Maryland.
- On June 1, we’ll view a video made by members of Black Cultural Awareness at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School and talk about the experience of being black at a majority white school.
Memorial Service for Carol Corson
Reminder: Masking Policy Update
- Masks are now optional for PMFS students, staff, families and visitors during indoor classes and activities.
- Masking will be required during all indoor assemblies or group gatherings (including Meeting for Worship), all-school events and community gatherings.
- On-campus community events will include current families, household members and extended families, as well as newly accepted PMFS families. Spring events will not be open to the general public outside of our PMFS community.
- Masks will continue to be optional for PMFS students, staff families and visitors when outdoors on-campus.
- Community members who choose to wear masks indoors and/or outdoors will be supported to do so.
Wednesday, April 27 – Friday, April 29
Grades 3-6 Overnight Trip to Washington, DC
Wednesday, May 4 ,8pm
Saturday, May 7, 2-4pm
Wednesday, May 11, 8-9pm
Strawberry Festival Planning Meeting
Friday, May 13 and Saturday May 14 , 7-8pm
Pod 3/4 Circus
Want more info on happenings at school?
PMFS Parent Portal
Daily Health Questionnaire
PMFS Updated Covid Protocols, January 2022
Order lunch for your child at www.yaylunch.com (order by Saturday at midnight)
Make a credit card payment to PMFS
Follow us on Instagram
Like us on Facebook
Donate to PMFS
Designate PMFS as your charity of choice at AmazonSmile and .5% of your purchase gets donated to us