Narrow your Focus to 3-4 Independent Schools:
- Remember that, in school choice, it is the MATCH between your child and the school that matters most.
- Consider the family. Applying to schools is a family endeavor; think about siblings who may follow.
- Reflect on special features and disciplines of the schools.
- Trust your gut; there are a plethora of good schools where your child will shine.
- Be flexible; there is an element of the unexpected in this process. Your impressions of a school may differ from what you expected.
For Each Independent School Application:
- Set the date for your child’s visit
- Prepare for your child’s visit
- Speak with your child about showing his/her “best” self and how to be on his/her best behavior. (Be yourself, the self you show your great-aunt)
- Contact the school to find out about special needs for the day of the visit.
- Inform PMFS in advance of your child’s absence from school, if applicable.
- Get forms from each school for PMFS; sign and turn all forms in to the PMFS Office for distribution within PMFS:
- Records release form
- Teacher recommendation form(s)
- Turn in to each school admissions office:
- Application form (we recommend by early November)
- Copy of your child’s PMFS Portfolio
- Financial aid packet (we recommend by December 1)