The School District of Philadelphia Office of Student Enrollment and Placement accepts online applications in the fall of each school year.
Philadelphia resident students go through the School District of Philadelphia Office of Student Enrollment and Placement to apply to three types of schools:
- Special Admission Middle Schools (aka Magnet schools)
- Citywide Admission Middle Schools (no admission criteria; selection by lottery)
- Neighborhood Middle Schools (Students who live outside a school’s attendance area may still apply for admission there, to be chosen by lottery. –Some neighborhood middle schools have magnet programs within them, which also require applications. These are Hamilton Elementary Elementary School AIMS Program (Grades 6 to 8) and Grover Washington, Jr. Middle School Music Magnet Program (Grades 5 to 8). –Some neighborhood elementary and middle schools enroll half or more of their students outside their catchment area. Click here to read more bout it.
N.B. Philadelphia charter schools maintain individual admission requirements and timelines and are therefore considered in separate section, below.
School District of Philadelphia links:
- School Selection Overview, including links, process, & helpful videos (According to this webpage the selection window for 2019 is September 20 – November 1)
- School District of Philadelphia’s Office of Student Enrollment and Placement home page: www.philasd.org/studentplacement
- School Selection Process for students who are not currently attending a District of Philadelphia school (includes link to application itself)
Another helpful link:
- Great Philly Schools, a guide for locating schools in Philadelphia: greatphillyschools.org
Transferring to a Philadelphia Charter School
Charter schools are publicly funded, independently operated public schools, according to the School District of Philadelphia Charter Schools Office. As such, they operate as single, independent entities, with separate entrance requirement and dates. Families who live in Philadelphia must check each charter school to which they may apply separately for admission requirements.
To look up a specific charter school and find out its requirements, application, deadlines, contact information, and reports, go to www.philasd.org/charterschools/directory.
For a map of Philadelphia charter schools and a listing by areas within the city, click here.