The PTO performs three essential overarching functions for the school:
- Coordinating resources and volunteers for a number of community-building activities each year. Running the Annual Strawberry Festival is the largest PTO-led effort.
- Engaging in a number of fundraising efforts where proceeds go back to the school to support a variety of efforts. Recently, the PTO funds have supported technology, student assemblies and purchasing materials for nature play.
- Serving as an important representative at School Committee meetings and as a day-to-day liaison to the School Administration.
- Back-to-School Picnic: Kick off the new school year with PMFS families while enjoying cook-out foods and lunch program samples as well as open access to the blacktop and playground.
- Morning Parent Coffees: Held on the first three Fridays of the school year in Corson Lobby (and also scheduled throughout the year), join David Kern and current parents to discuss topics important to our school community. While you chat, enjoy coffee and breakfast foods provided by the PTO.
- Halloween Parade Breakfast: This social event is held in the Annie H. room for parents to enjoy coffee, tea and breakfast foods as they await the start of the students’ Halloween Parade on the PMFS campus.
- Family Fun Night: This evening event for families may include crafts, a movie or games, and will definitely include fun and togetherness for all ages.
- Wassail: Rejoice in the company of current families and alumni with a hot-mulled cider beverage, pastries and snacks. This event takes place before the Winter Holiday Concert in December in the Steinbright Building.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service and Justice: Join the PMFS community for a day “on,” not a day off. Learn about social justice, explore how Martin Luther King Jr. made a difference and work on a service project for a local organization.
- A Family Event during National Screen-Free Week: Meet up with families on the playground after dismissal for some outdoor fun. This is a way to avoid the electronic devices and have some fun with friends.
- Staff Appreciation Events: The winter and end-of-year faculty luncheons show our thanks for all the faculty does every day for our children.
- Parent Talks: Expert-led parent information evenings provide continued learning opportunities on the latest topics and trends in parenting and learning. In the past, Parent Talks have focused on gender diversity, screen time, growth mindset, and nature play.
- Food Program: The co-chairs of the food program negotiate prices with local restaurants to bring hot lunch and snack options to families and students. Enrollment for the food program occurs in September and January.
- Biennial Auction: Every other year, the PTO partners with the Development Office to hold an auction of goods and services donated by current and alumni families as well as many area businesses. At our last event, we held an online option in addition to the live auction at Chestnut Hill College.
- Used Clothing Sale: Each fall, we collect gently-used and new children’s clothing. The items are sorted and sold during a weekend in the fall. We invite PMFS families and our greater community to shop. This successful event is a big fundraiser for the PTO.
- Giving Bean Coffee & Tea Fundraiser: In the fall, the PTO collects orders for Giving Bean, a gourmet coffee roaster that helps non-profit organizations raise funds, allocating 40% of each item we sell to the PTO.
- Box Tops for Education: The PTO collects Box Tops for Education throughout the school year, sending them off in batches in exchange for funds.
- Dining Out Events: We partner with area restaurants to collect a percentage of guests’ checks who use the coupon provided by the PMFS PTO. In the past, participating restaurants have included Pizzeria Uno in Conshohocken, Trolley Car Diner in Mt. Airy, and Iron Hill Brewery in Chestnut Hill.
- Amazon Smile: A simple way for you to support PMFS every time you shop at no additional cost to you, Amazon Smile has the same prices and shopping experience as Amazon; the only difference is that .5% of your purchase price comes back to PMFS. Simply go to smile.amazon.com and select Plymouth Meeting Friends School as your charity of choice.
- Strawberry Festival: An annual celebration that draws current families, alumni, friends, Meeting members and the local community to PMFS for food and fun! Proceeds of the event benefit the PTO.
Ways to Stay Involved
- Read the Virtual Red Folder (VRF) delivered to your email inbox every Thursday. This always will contain the latest information from the PTO on opportunities to volunteer, donate, and come together as a community. (Hint: this is the easiest way to click a link and complete a simple form to sign up to volunteer at a PTO-sponsored event!)
- Check your child’s Red Folder which comes home in backpacks every Friday for flyers and handouts from the PTO. (Hint: this is the easiest way to place orders for the Giving Bean sale, get your required coupon for Dining Out Events, and sign up to donate goods and services to the Biennial Auction!)
- Be certain who your Class Parent is (check the Red Book); there are typically two for each grade. Your Class Parent can answer any questions you have and/or liaise with the PTO to ensure you are in the know. They also send out special class-specific electronic correspondence regarding a number of PTO volunteer and donation opportunities (e.g., each class is responsible for a specific portion of the Strawberry Festival and classes donate different food items for MLK Jr. Day of Service and Justice).
- Sign up to volunteer for any number of events. From co-clerking some of our larger functions and coordinating collection of donated resources to coming early to set up or flipping burgers during an event, there are many chances to pitch in and help make our events a success. Your PTO Co-Clerks are always available to answer questions regarding events and help you to get involved.
PTO Meetings 2018-2019
All parents and staff are automatically members of the PTO. The PTO holds monthly meetings during the year. All parents are invited to attend these meetings.
- Thursday, September 14, 3:00 pm, Library
- Thursday, October 18, 3:00 pm, Library
- Thursday, November 15, 3:00 pm, Library
- Thursday, December 6, 3:00 pm, Library
- Thursday, January 10, 8:00 pm, virtual
- Thursday, February 7, 8:00 pm, virtual
- Thursday, March 7, 8:00 pm, virtual
- Thursday, April 18, 3:00 pm, Library
- Thursday, May 9, 3:00 pm, Library
- Thursday, June 6, 3:00 pm, Library
Current PTO 2018-2019 Officers
- Co-Clerk: Kim DeFilippi (2017-2019), email@example.com
- Co-Clerk: Tasha Martin-Peters (2018-2020), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recording Clerk: Jana Dean Gunby (2018-2020), email@example.com
- Co-Treasurer: Jennifer Mullen (2018-2020), firstname.lastname@example.org
- Co-Treasurer: Cecilia Dee (2017-2019), email@example.com
- Faculty Representative: John B Hedges, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Administration Representative: Ralph Henninger, email@example.com